Another Anti-Immigrant Law Threatening Alabama
WHAT IS SB-108?
This is a bill proposed by Alabama Senator Orr (R-Decatur) that threatens felony convictions for local law enforcement and others who fail to comply with immigration regulations for which they do not have adequate training. Federal immigration enforcement is not the responsibility of local municipalities, and communities should not be expected to cover the costs.
As we saw with the harsh anti-immigrant law HB56 in 2011, this bill will lead to profiling, improper arrests, and further separation of families in immigrant communities.
We’re tired of seeing laws that threaten communities, public safety, and economic development in our state for the sake of political gain.
CONSEQUENCES IF APPROVED:
1) Alabamans’ private information will be shared with the federal government on applications for state licenses and services.
2) It will discourage immigrants from reporting criminal activity to law enforcement, leading to public safety risks.
3) There will be serious economic damage to farm and food-based industries as workers leave.
4) It criminalizes officials of any municipality offering sanctuary.
5) Alabama taxpayers will pay for the arrest and detention of immigrant neighbors and friends.
LIFT UP YOUR VOICE
Call, send letters, fax, leave voice messages, and ask them to oppose SB-108!